Downloadable high res photos at the bottom of the page!
Tasman Glacier Heli Hike - by Alpine Guides
Alpine Guides is NZ’s longest established guiding company, based at Aoraki Mt Cook since 1966.
the Tasman Glacier Heli Hike is a joint venture with The Helicopter Line'
The Tasman Glacier Helihike takes place on the Tasman Glacier, the longest glacier in NZ. Go where no one else goes....
The total trip time is around 3 hours and guests spend 1.5 to 2 hours on the ice, exploring the glacier.
The activity is suitable for people of average fitness.
• The area is wide-open and panoramic, with no risk of falling debris
• The Tasman Glacier is gently-angled, not steep like the Fox or Franz Josef Glaciers
• The evelation is 1,200 – higher than at Franz Josef or Fox Glacier
• Views of Aoraki Mount Cook and Mount Tasman are unsurpassed
• The helihike is suitable for most fitness levels
An adventure into the realm of the mountaineer!
With your professional alpine guide, you will fly high on to the “white ice” of NZ’s longest glacier– the mighty Tasman, and explore one of New Zealand’s natural wonders.
We meet our guests at Mt Cook Airport and provide a safety brief and fit your equipment, before an exciting helicopter flight into the mountains.
You land at 1,200 metres and spend up to 2 hours on the ice, on a guided interprative walk on the “white ice". This is an amazing landscape of fluted ice, runnels, moulins, and sinuous winding streamlets.
You will trek on gentle undulating terrain, below the highest peaks of the Southern Alps (Aoraki, Tasman). The snow-clad peaks tower above huge ice-falls that bulldoze and grind down the mountain sides.
The helicopter flies you back after approximately 1.5 - 2 hours on the ice.
Now open year-round!
Mt Cook Helihike is weather dependendent
What to bring:
• Small Backpack (for personal drinks and snacks)
• Wind/waterproof jacket
• Sun block and lip cream (UV is intense in the mountains)
• Warm hat for cool weather, sun hat/baseball cap for warm weather
Maximum guide/guest ratio = 1:11
Maximum possible number per time slot = 22 guests
Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
By: Alpine Guides (Aoraki) Ltd
PO Box 20, Aoraki Mount Cook 7946
Tel : +(64) 3 4351834
Downloadable high res photos. Click on the photo, then right click your mouse and save to your computer.